Ever felt pain in your back and joints when using your toilet? Have any of your guests complained about your toilet being uncomfortable? The most likely cause for this is your toilet’s height. While there might not be anything inherently wrong with it, you might have just purchased the wrong size.
Most people just look at aesthetics while buying a toilet and forget to see if the toilet’s dimensions are comfortable for them. The height of your toilet is a major factor in deciding how comfortable it will be. If you ignore this during purchasing, it might give you trouble in the future.
A Comfort Height toilet is a toilet that is compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act. An ADA-compliant height toilet or Comfort Height toilet has been designed to make the whole bathroom experience more comfortable for the user.
The seat is at the ideal height, and the bowl’s width is just perfect, making your trips to the bathroom more comfortable. These toilets are also known as chair height toilets as they are around the same height as a typical chair.
If a standard-sized toilet does not suit you, a Comfort Height toilet might be the solution you didn’t know existed.
Who Needs a Comfort Height Toilet?
Comfort toilets are not for everyone — for a huge chunk of the population, a standard toilet will be perfect. However, for the part of the population that finds these toilets uncomfortable, the Comfort Height toilet will be a boon. A Right Height toilet is best for tall people, disabled persons, and seniors.
Tall people – When you are tall, your knees tend to be bent at quite an angle each time you use the toilet. Having a Comfort Height toilet will ensure that the seat is at the ideal height for you and that you won’t strain your knees every time you use the toilet.
Elderly/Seniors – Many seniors suffer from knee pain. A standard-sized toilet might aggravate this pain each time they use the toilet, and they will also have a difficult time sitting down and getting back up. If they use a Comfort Height toilet, their knees and legs won’t strain while using the toilet, and they will also be able to get up and sit down without issues. Thus, an ADA-compliant toilet will be perfect for seniors.
Disabled/Handicapped – Comfort Height toilets might actually be critical for disabled and handicapped people. A standard toilet will not be able to meet their needs and will be uncomfortable to use. It is important that disabled/handicapped people use an ADA-complaint Comfort Height toilet since it will make getting on and off the toilet much easier and make the overall bathroom experience more comfortable.
Best Comfort Height Toilets – Reviews 2021
1. Convenient Height 20-Inch Extra Tall Toilet (Editor’s Choice!)
- Extra tall toilet bowl: 20 inches. Height top of seat: 21". Solid metal handle and new generation dual flush system
- Adds bathroom safety. Helps sit down and stand up more easily. Helps prevent falls.
- High performance. Designed and engineered by Convenient Height Co., Massachusetts
Finding it hard to sit comfortably on your standard height toilet? Or do you have any tall family members, senior citizens, or a disabled person who wants more convenience while sitting on and standing up? In that case, a Convenient Height Toilet is an incredible choice for you. This is the highest toilet height you will ever find for a toilet.
The elegant and white finish complements every bathroom. This 20-inch, comfortable toilet, in comparison to the standard height toilet of 15 inches, is perfect if you’re taller, disabled, or sick.
Similar to many ADA-compliant toilets, this Right Height toilet comes with an elongated bowl, providing more room to sit.
Its powerful siphonic flushing gives you relief from flushing issues. This toilet also has a canister flush valve that ensures high water velocity for a powerful flush. Additionally, the large trapway has a high elevation, and the siphon force cleans the waste thoroughly, leaving the bowl spotless.
You can flush according to your preferences with this toilet’s dual flush system. It offers two options for flushing — 1.28 GPF for a full flush and 0.9 GPF for a partial flush, which also makes it water efficient.
Apart from the sturdy construction, the toilet also features a long-lasting corrosion-resistant and plastic-made handle. With a 12-inch rough-in, the installation of this two-piece toilet becomes easier.
2. Woodbridge T-0001 Dual Flush Elongated One-Piece Toilet
If you have a house with a flawlessly designed interior in which every minute detail has been thought over and every product chosen after deep discussion, then this could be the toilet for you.
The Woodbridge T-0001 dual flush elongated one-piece toilet would perfectly fit in any luxurious bathroom. Its design is unique and eye-catching. It is considered to be one of the best luxury toilets, as its height is extremely comfortable and should feel like sitting on a chair. This makes sitting and standing fully effortless.
The whole set is just one piece, so you would not have to think about the water container swinging sideways. This luxurious toilet features a quiet but powerful siphon flushing system, giving this toilet the performance it requires.
The lid closes softly and slowly, and this helps your hinges last longer while reducing noise. Thus, the lid and the flushing system help make sure that no one knows you used the restroom.
The toilet’s bowl has a skirted design, so cleaning it should be very easy. The toilet actually has extensive certification and will run smoothly. Thus, problems like leaks and clogs won’t bother you.
The only possible drawbacks of this toilet are that it is not designed to be used in small spaces and that you will mostly need a handyman to install it.
Thus, if you are looking to buy a top-of-the-line, comfortable toilet that is easy to use, luxurious to look at, powerful, quiet, and maintenance-free, the Woodbridge T-0001 will be perfect for you.
3. American Standard Comfort Height Round Front
- Combination bowl and tank with seat. Residential Use
- Oversized 3 inches flush valve. Chrome-plated trip lever
- Siphon action jetted bowl with smooth-sided, concealed trapway
This is a high-quality toilet is Comfort Height, ensuring that its users have a comfortable bathroom experience every time. The American Standard Cadet 3 toilet is also a great option for people looking to conserve water, as it will only use 1.28 GPF.
With an extra-wide flushing valve, it can even flush 1000 grams of solid waste with a single flush. This will ensure that all you need is a single flush every time.
The toilet also has an EverClean surface finish that will prevent any mold, bacteria, or mildew from growing on it. This makes it a great choice for those who are conscious of hygiene.
The toilet actually has a pressurized rim. All the water will flow from the tank to the rim chamber, and then the rim chamber traps air, ensuring that the chamber is always pressurized.
This pressure will make sure that each flush is powerful. It also has a large siphon trapway that will reduce the chances of your toilet getting clogged.
The Cadet 3 is one of the best Comfort Height toilets that not only looks classy but is also effective in its performance. The only drawbacks are that it’s not very easy to install and that a replacement toilet seat is difficult to find.
4. Kohler K-3589-0 Comfort Height Toilet With AquaPiston Technology
- Two-piece toilet.
- Elongated bowl offers added room and comfort.
- Comfort height(R) feature offers chair-height seating that makes sitting down and standing up easier for most adults.
This toilet offers Right Height seating around 2 inches higher than any other toilet, which makes sitting down and standing up very easy for elder people. This also makes it a good toilet for small bathrooms. There is a left-hand trip lever, which is a good place for elderly people. Kohler’s AquaPiston technology is the best when it comes to cleaning the waste in the bowl since it releases water from 360 degrees. This stylish two-piece toilet with traditional decor comes with an elongated bowl, which offers extra room for comfort. If you are looking for something with a more modern design, then you should look at our top pick.
One of the most unique features is the gravity flush mode. Even though it consumes 1.6 GPF, it has a greater flushing effect than standard models due to this feature. It is made from vitreous china, making it durable and easy to clean. Not to mention, it flushes the waste quietly.
This is one of the best Kohler toilets that is backed by a 1-year limited warranty from Kohler. You will only get a bowl and tank in this model. It doesn’t come with the seat, cover, or supply line.
5. Delta Faucet Haywood
No products found.
If you want a toilet that will perfectly fit your bathroom style, you cannot go wrong with the Delta Faucet Haywood toilet.
This toilet is suitable to be used by seniors, handicapped, and disabled people, as its seat height is ADA-complaint. This toilet is also one of the best Comfort Height toilets for people wanting to conserve water since it has been certified by the Environmental Protection Agency’s WaterSense and uses just a mere 1.28 GPF.
The HydroWash flushing system used by the toilet makes its flushes powerful. It also features SplashGuard technology that keeps it cleaner for longer while making cleanups easier.
The toilet is quite durable, so it should last you a long time. The only issue with this toilet is that it does not include the toilet seat, the wax ring, or the gear required to mount it on the floor. This will increase the overall installation cost for the toilet as well as the time spent finding and purchasing the parts.
However, if you do not mind getting the missing parts, the Delta Faucet is an efficient toilet that has a powerful flush thanks to its HydroWash flushing system. The SplashGuard technology also makes sure your cleaning worries are reduced.
6. TOTO Drake 2 Two-Piece ADA Toilet
- Item may ship in more than one box and may arrive separately
- Double Cyclone Technology.does not come with a seat, it is just a bowl C454CUFG#01) and a tank (ST454E#01).
- Powerful, quiet flush every time
The TOTO Drake ii toilet is an ADA-approved toilet that will be a welcome addition to your bathroom. The toilet boasts a sleek design that will improve the aesthetics of your bathroom. It is also an excellent option to conserve water as it only uses 1.6 GPF.
The comfortable height of the toilet and its elongated shape make it perfect for seniors. As it is an ADA-compliant toilet, it will also be suitable for handicapped and disabled users.
The toilet uses a G-Max flushing system along with 8 PSI water pressure, and thus, each flush is powerful. It also has a SoftClose seat, so you don’t have to worry about the toilet seat slamming and informing everyone in the house that you just used the restroom.
It has a body made of vitreous china, which makes it easy to clean while also giving it an elegant look. The toilet is also quite easy to install.
However, the toilet does have a few issues. You will mostly find attaching the toilet seat to be tricky, and you won’t be able to place anything on the toilet tank lid due to its design.
A few users have also complained that the toilet leaks after a few months. Though it does have a few issues, the TOTO Drake toilet is a great budget-friendly option for anyone looking to buy an ADA-compliant toilet.
7. Kohler Kelston Comfort Height Elongated Front
- Two-piece toilet.
- Elongated bowl offers added room and comfort.
- Comfort Height(R) feature offers chair-height seating that makes sitting down and standing up easier for most adults.
This product brings back elegance to your bathroom and provides a convenient chair-like height to use comfortably. It has a great 1.6-gallon flush and a durable, versatile design. It is an excellent and smart choice for your small bath or powder room. We recommend Kohler Kelston for you as a good tall toilet for the elderly.
Some of the best features of this Right Height toilet are:
- It is a two-piece toilet.
- It is chair height, which makes sitting down and standing up easier for most adults and people with physical challenges.
- A standard left-hand trip lever is included in the model.
- It uses single flush gravity technology.
- It has a precision engineered trapway.
- It includes a durable canister design and a light touch canister valve.
The DryLock Installation System saves time during installation and helps in preventing water damage. The detailed guide in the manual will help in the installation process. Any mild gel-based cleanser or soapy water will work for cleaning. Use a soft cloth to wipe the surface. Kohler provides a one-year limited-time warranty on this toilet.
This is considered to be one of the Best Comfort Height Toilets as it is above 17 inches in seat height.
Things To Know About Comfort Height Toilets
If you live with your grandfather or grandmother or another elderly person, then you need to install a tall toilet. These models are taller than standard ones with a height of between 16-19 inches when measured to seat top. There are some guidelines for designing ADA-compliant height toilets as per the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. For people who suffer from joint pain or have any kind of disability, this is the right toilet system for them.
There are some things you should know about Comfort Height toilets before going for the best model.
- Comfort Height is considered to be when a toilet + bowl range is from 17 to 19 inches when measured from floor to seat, excluding the seat cover. If the height is the same, then it is also called an ADA-compliant toilet. If it is lower than 17 inches, then it is a standard residential toilet. A height of over 19 inches will become a non-standard toilet.
- There are different toilet brands on the market, and everybody has a different name for this type of model. KOHLER calls it a Comfort Height toilet, American Standard calls it a Right Height toilet, and TOTO has labeled it as Universal Height.
- If you have a elderly person in the house or someone who has had a hip replacement surgery or any other severe treatment, then these Comfort Height toilets will benefit them while bending or sitting.
- People who have problems bending their legs can use these types of toilets or even detachable toilet risers, which can bring the toilet height to 18 inches if you use a 2-inch riser on a 16-inch bowl.
- The extra inches on these Comfort Height toilets can change the lives of people who are getting older. You can install these chair height toilets at the same costs as standard ones. If you get up from the chair easily, then you can do the same on these models as well.
- People have misconceptions about Comfort Height toilets. They think that they won’t find them in many colors and styles or even water-conserving models. The truth is, however, that they have become quite popular, and you can buy one from your favorite brand.
- There is no company that makes a toilet with a 17-inch bowl height since there is very little demand for that height. Generally, you will find a model with a bowl that is 16 inches high, and a 1-inch seat added makes it the ADA Comfort Height of 17 inches. If you need an 18-inch toilet, then you need to buy raised seats or a seat extender that will make the toilet two inches higher. You can read more about toilet seat risers here. You can even place them on a standard model and make it more convenient to use.
- The next thing to know is that not all toilets labeled as “Comfortable Height” or “chair height” within ADA guidelines are 17 inches high. Some models with “Comfortable Height” are measured 16.5 inches — less than ADA standard. As we mention in the above points, these labels are given by the company, not by the ADA. Make sure to ask the seller the height range from bottom to top or learn about it.
- When you read the label, the best thing you can do is check that whether or not the seat is included in the measurement. If the seat is not included, that means it’s 16 inches, and adding 1 inch to it will increase the height to 17 inches, making it ADA compliant.
- For a handicapped or elderly person, the Comfort Height toilet must meet the standard of flush control set by the ADA. The flushing control system must be pressed with force less than 5 pounds and it must be at a height of no more than 44 inches. Toilets with lever flush valves are easy to use and use less than 5 pounds of force than compared to the flush button system.
- As per another ADA standard for Comfort Height, you must learn where to place the toilet in the bathroom in relation to walls. If the wall is on the right side of the toilet in the bathroom, the lever must be on left or vice versa. This makes it is easy for people with disabilities to flush.
What is the ADA-Approved Toilet?
Any toilet that has a height between 17 to 19 inches from the floor to the bowl rim with the seat and is approved by ADA. Also, add in that the rough-in from the wall is 12 inches. The new toilet seniors are using is a Convenient Height of around 16 1/8 inches from the floor to rim.
What is a Chair Height Toilet?
As the height is measured from floor to rim (top of the seat), it must be equal to the height of a chair, between 15 to 19 inches. Comfort Height toilets also referred to as Chair Height measure 17 inches or more.
Should I get a Comfort Height toilet?
Yes, if you have a tall or elderly person at home with knee problems or if they face issues while sitting or getting up from the toilet, then you need a toilet with Comfort Height.
What is the difference between chair height and Comfort Height toilets?
There is no difference between the height of a chair or Comfort Height toilets. This is just a name given by different companies.
Who makes the tallest Comfort Height toilet?
A company named Convenient Height makes the tallest toilet that measures up to 20 inches high. It is loved by many people and has gathered many positive reviews since its launch due to its comfortable features.
What is the best tall toilet?
Convenient Height is the best flushing tall toilet. This toilet is 5 inches taller than standard toilets and allows for a comfortable sitting posture. It has all the features of a quality toilet like a soft-close seat and a dual flush system.
The Bottom Line:
When you are unable to increase the size of your bathroom or if you face challenges due to physical problems, you need to have a specific kind of toilet system since that is an everyday need. While buying a tall toilet, keep in mind that other specifications and normal features are also important along with the extra height of the toilet system.