For people with disabilities or the elderly, taking a shower in a bathtub may not be easy. To avoid problems, these people should use a shower chair when bathing. The best shower chair guarantee safety to the disabled people.
After testing several different types of bath chairs over a period of three days with elder people, we found Carousel Sliding Transfer Bench with Swivel Seat as our top pick as best shower stool.
- 7 Best Transfer Shower Benches for Elderly and Disabled
- Top 7 Best Transfer Shower Benches Reviews
- 1. Carousel Sliding Transfer Bench with Swivel Seat
- 2. Eagle Health Supplies – Swivel Sliding Bath Transfer Bench
- 3. Moen Non-Slip Adjustable Transfer Bench
- 4. Plastic Tub Transfer Bench with Adjustable Backrest
- 5. Tub Transfer Bench and Sliding Shower Chair
- 6. MedMobile® Bathtub Transfer Bench / Bath Chair
- Why should you Buy a Shower Chair?
- What to Look for Before Buying a Shower Chair
7 Best Transfer Shower Benches for Elderly and Disabled
Not all shower chairs are reliable and comfortable. To make your work easier, we have reviewed the best shower chairs in 2019. The best thing about these chairs is that they are top rated in Amazon and are also affordable.
Top 7 Best Transfer Shower Benches Reviews
If you are really in need of the best shower chair and you are not on a limited budget, Carousel Sliding Transfer Bench is the real deal. It has a well-padded seat and comes with comfortable armrests. It features slip resistant padding on all the major parts. It takes less than 5 minutes to set it up.
The other incredible thing about this shower chair is that it comes with medical grade and closed-cell molded polyurethane padding which does not absorb water. This is one of the rare features that you can’t find in many shower chair. It won’t take much space in your bathroom.
In addition, the padded armrests can be lowered, raised or they can be locked into one place. The armrest is robust as compared to those in other shower chairs. You can even use them to support you as you as you move in and out of the chair. This is very necessary, especially for elderly people.
It also has a unique Hi-View Blue color which makes it be visible even to those with eye problems. The color also allows you to distinguish it from the surrounding more easily. If you really value your safety, this is indeed one of the most recommended chairs even by doctors.
- It is well padded
- Very safe
- Easy to setup
- It is made of a material which does not absorb water
- Highly recommended by doctors
This Bath Transfer Bench comes second in our list as one of the most reliable shower benches. It allows you to glide and swivel into the bathtub without any need to scoot across the seat like when you are using a conventional transfer bench. Indeed, this one will save you the cost of installing a walk-in bathtub or shower which can be a bit expensive. It even comes with safety belts which are easy to adjust.
Additionally, it is able to swivel at 360 degrees and lock after every 90 degrees. It locks securely at the sides of the sliding rails. You will also find that it features a plastic molded seat which has a textured finish. Apart from that, the seat features drainage holes to prevent accumulation of water which may damage the other parts.
It has a very strong frame which is rustproof and lightweight. Moreover, it is very easy to assemble since you don’t need any tools. Another thing is that it has an adjustable height which makes it ideal for people with different heights. It is worth mentioning that it allows a maximum capacity of 400 lbs. However, you need to take the measurements of your bathroom first before buying to ensure that it will fit.
- Easy to assemble
- It comes with an adjustable height
- It allows a 360 degrees swivel
- A sturdy frame which is rustproof
- It comes with adjustable safety belts
- Takes a lot of space
- You can only use the armrest to rest your arms
The best thing about it is that it meets the required standard of ADA – American with Disabilities Act. Another thing is that it has a non-slip surface for safety. Unlike others, it features an ergonomic ball-shaped grip handle which gives you support when getting out and in of the bathtub.
You should also note that it comes with a limited warranty which means that it is a quality product. Moreover, it has a glacier white finish which gives it an attractive look. To boost stability, it features an innovative leg design and a large base. You can easily adjust the height from 16.5 to 21. The chair can hold a maximum weight of up to 400 pounds.
- Unique 3 leg design for stability
- Strong construction
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Ergonomic handle for easy grip
- The height can be too low for some people
Plastic Tub Transfer Bench with Adjustable Backrest is one of the most affordable options you can find out there. It has an innovative design which assists you when getting in and out of the bathtub or shower. You will also find that it is very easy to assemble and you don’t need to use any tools while doing this. For additional installation security, it comes with a pinch-free lever, unlike others.
Another noteworthy feature is the backrest and the blow-molded plastic bath bench which boosts stability and also ensures that it fits perfectly in all bathrooms. The seat has a dimension of 18.5-19.5 X 26 X 17.5-22.5 Inches. The outside legs measure 23 x 32 Inches. This chair is lightweight and has a total weight of 10 pounds.
You can easily adjust the height of the bath sear by ½ increments. It also comes with a dual column extending legs which are versatile. We also need to mention that the chair allows a maximum capacity of 400 pounds.
- Very stable
- It fits in all bathrooms
- It is lightweight
- It comes with a pinch-free lever
- The suction cups on the two legs may be hard to release
Are you searching for a sliding shower bench that will give you value for your money? This Transfer Bench and Sliding shower seat can be a great option. This one is made of a long-lasting non-slim aluminum body.
The seat is made of plastic and you can easily adjust the height.ne of the reasons why you need this chair is that it makes transfers from walkers or wheelchairs to the shower or bathtub much easier. You will find that it features a safe sliding design which helps to minimize physical strain.
Moreover, it is easy to use and all you need to do is to position one end of the sliding bathtub or shower transfer into the shower and the other end should be positioned outside the bathtub.
It is very secure especially for the elderly people since it comes with safety features such as handles for stability, anti-slip rubber feet and frame with blow-molded seat which has a backrest. You don’t need to worry about assembling since it has a straightforward design which makes it easy to set up.
- Safe sliding design
- Easy to use
- Long lasting
- Adjustable legs
- Removable cut out
- It comes with a shower wand clip
- Helps to minimize physical strain
- It comes with different safety features
- Reasonable price
- The plastic parts break easily
The first thing you will note once you set your eyes on this shower chair is the simple design. One of the best things about it is that it is very flexible. You will find that you can easily adjust the height from 16 ½ to 20 ½. Apart from that, it provides easy transfer from a wheelchair to the shower seat.
If you are on a budget, you will be happy to know that this chair is very affordable. Despite its low price, it is one of the best shower chairs you can find out there. We also need to mention that it has non-slip legs which provides stability and safety. However, it doesn’t have a backrest unlike others. It measures 29 x16 x 25 Inches.
- Non-slip legs
- Very safe
- It is stable
- It does not come with an armrest
Why should you Buy a Shower Chair?
1. Boosts safety – If you are one of those who always feel afraid to take a shower, you need to look for a shower chair. When using these chairs, there is no possibility of falling especially due to the slippery surface of most bathrooms. These chairs are necessary for those in wheelchairs, the elderly and those experience pain due to excessive movements.
2. Hygiene– For people with a limited mobility, purchasing a shower chair will ensure that you don’t risk your health and hygiene when travelling. This is because you can carry the chair with you to makes it easier for you when bathing.
3. Boosts confidence – These chairs are designed in a way that helps you when getting in and out of the shower. The best thing about these chairs is that they come with useful features to suit your requirements.
4. Easy to use– Shower chairs are very easy to use and assemble. They are well padded to provide the required comfort.
What to Look for Before Buying a Shower Chair
If you want to get value for your money when purchasing these chairs, follow the following tips.
1. Height –Look for a chair that is tall enough for everyone. Ensure the user can comfortably place the feet flat on the floor when bathing. The best chair should have an adjustable height to make it suitable for people with different heights.
2. Back support and armrest – A chair with well-padded backrest and armrest can be a great option. This feature provides stability and comfort to the user. Some even comes with adjustable armrests and backrests.
3. Reviews – Before spending your money on any product, you should always check what customers are saying about the product. This will give you the confidence that you will be purchasing a reliable product.
4. Weight capacity – A good chair should comfortably support the weight of the user. It is good to check the maximum weight a chair can hold before buying. Ensure the one you have selected is compatible with the user.
5. Seat– It should have a comfortable seat. The seat should be made of a non-slip material. Apart from that, it should have drainage holes to prevent accumulation of water. You should also ensure that it is wide enough to cover the user.
The Bottom Line
With no doubt, a shower chair is a very important accessory you must have in your bathroom especially if you have a disabled or an elderly person in your family. These chairs are specifically designed for such people. You will find that they come with safety features and other features which ensure that the user is always comfortable when bathing. In addition, they are easy to assemble and are very stable.
If you are worried about price, you will find that they come with different prices to suit your budget. However, purchasing a shower chair just because it is affordable is a bad idea. You need to look at the features and reliability of the chair. Irrespective of your choice, it is our hope that this guide will be helpful to you when shopping for a shower chair.