For elderly people or people with disabilities, taking a shower in a bathtub may not be easy. To avoid problems, these people should use a shower chair when bathing. The best shower chairs guarantee safety for disabled people.
After testing several different types of bath chairs with some elderly people over a period of three days, we decided that the Carousel Sliding Transfer Bench with Swivel Seat was our top pick as the best shower stool.
Related: Best Portable Camping Showers
Not all shower chairs are reliable and comfortable. To make your work easier, we have reviewed the best shower chairs of 2019. The best thing about these chairs is that they are all rated highly on Amazon, and they are also affordable.
Top 7 Best Transfer Shower Benches Reviews
1. Carousel Sliding Transfer Bench with Swivel Seat
If you are really wanting the best shower chair and you are not on a limited budget, Carousel Sliding Transfer Bench is the real deal. It has a well-padded seat and comes with comfortable armrests. It features slip-resistant padding on all the major parts and takes less than 5 minutes to set it up.
The other incredible thing about this shower chair is that it comes with medical-grade and closed-cell molded polyurethane padding that does not absorb water. This is one of the rare features that you can’t find on many shower chairs. It also won’t take much space in your bathroom.
In addition, the padded armrests can be lowered, raised, or locked into one place. The armrest is robust compared to those in other shower chairs. You can even use them to support you as you move in and out of the chair. This is very necessary, especially for elderly people.
It also has a unique Hi-View Blue color, which makes it visible even to those with eye problems. The color also allows you to distinguish it from its surroundings more easily. If you really value your safety, this is indeed one of the most recommended chairs — even by doctors.[joomdev-wpc-pros-cons disable_title=”yes” title=”Title Here” button_text=”Get it now” disable_button=”yes” button_link=”” button_link_target=”_SELF” button_rel_attr=”dofollow”][joomdev-wpc-pros]
- It is well padded
- Very safe
- Easy to setup
- It is made of a material which does not absorb water
- Highly recommended by doctors
2. Eagle Health Supplies – Swivel Sliding Bath Transfer Bench
This Bath Transfer Bench comes second on our list as one of the most reliable shower benches. It allows you to glide and swivel into the bathtub without any need to scoot across the seat like when you are using a conventional transfer bench. Indeed, this one will save you the cost of installing a walk-in bathtub or shower, which can be a bit expensive. It even comes with safety belts, which are easy to adjust.
Additionally, it can swivel 360 degrees and lock after every 90 degrees. It locks securely at the sides of the sliding rails. You will also find that it features a plastic molded seat that has a textured finish. Apart from that, the seat features drainage holes to prevent the accumulation of water, which may damage the other parts.
It has a very strong frame that is rustproof and lightweight. Moreover, it is very easy to assemble since you don’t need any tools. Another thing is that it has an adjustable height, which makes it ideal for people with different heights. It is worth mentioning that it allows a maximum capacity of 400 pounds. However, you need to take the measurements of your bathroom first before buying to ensure that it will fit.[joomdev-wpc-pros-cons disable_title=”yes” title=”Title Here” button_text=”Get it now” disable_button=”yes” button_link=”” button_link_target=”_SELF” button_rel_attr=”dofollow”][joomdev-wpc-pros]
- Easy to assemble
- It comes with an adjustable height
- It allows a 360 degrees swivel
- A sturdy frame which is rustproof
- It comes with adjustable safety belts
- Takes a lot of space
- You can only use the armrest to rest your arms
3. Moen Non-Slip Adjustable Transfer Bench
If you are searching for an affordable shower chair, Moen Non-Slip Adjustable Transfer Bench, Glacier White (DN7105) might be what you need. It has a measurement of 330 x 15 inches.
The best thing about it is that it meets the required standard of the ADA – American with Disabilities Act. Another thing is that it has a non-slip surface for safety. Unlike others, it features an ergonomic ball-shaped grip handle that gives you support when getting in and out of the bathtub.
You should also note that it comes with a limited warranty, meaning that you can be assured that it is a quality product. Moreover, it has a glacier white finish, which gives it an attractive look. To boost stability, it features an innovative leg design and a large base. You can easily adjust the height from 16.5 to 21 inches. The chair can hold a maximum weight of up to 400 pounds.[joomdev-wpc-pros-cons disable_title=”yes” title=”Title Here” button_text=”Get it now” disable_button=”yes” button_link=”” button_link_target=”_SELF” button_rel_attr=”dofollow”][joomdev-wpc-pros]
- Unique 3 leg design for stability
- Strong construction
- Limited lifetime warranty
- Ergonomic handle for easy grip
- The height can be too low for some people
4. Plastic Tub Transfer Bench with Adjustable Backrest
The Plastic Tub Transfer Bench with Adjustable Backrest is one of the most affordable options you can find out there. It has an innovative design that assists you when getting in and out of the bathtub or shower. You will also find that it is very easy to assemble, and you don’t need to use any tools while doing this. For additional installation security, it comes with a pinch-free lever, unlike other shower chairs you may find.
Another noteworthy feature is the backrest and the blow-molded plastic bath bench which boosts stability and also ensures that it fits perfectly in all bathrooms. The seat’s dimensions are 18.5-19.5 x 26 x 17.5-22.5 inches. The outside legs measure 23 x 32 inches. This chair is lightweight and has a total weight of 10 pounds.
You can easily adjust the height of the bath seat by ½ increments. It also comes with a dual column and extending versatile legs. We also need to mention that the chair allows a maximum capacity of 400 pounds.[joomdev-wpc-pros-cons disable_title=”yes” title=”Title Here” button_text=”Get it now” disable_button=”yes” button_link=”” button_link_target=”_SELF” button_rel_attr=”dofollow”][joomdev-wpc-pros]
- Very stable
- It fits in all bathrooms
- It is lightweight
- It comes with a pinch-free lever
- The suction cups on the two legs may be hard to release
5. Tub Transfer Bench and Sliding Shower Chair
Are you searching for a sliding shower bench that will give you great value for your money? This Transfer Bench and Sliding Shower Chair can be a great option. This one is made of a long-lasting non-slip aluminum body.
The seat is made of plastic, and you can easily adjust the height. One of the reasons why you need this chair is because it makes transfers from walkers or wheelchairs to the shower or bathtub much easier. You will find that it features a safe sliding design that helps to minimize physical strain.
Moreover, it is easy to use. All you need to do is position one end of the sliding bathtub or shower transfer into the shower and position the other end outside the bathtub.
It is very secure, especially for elderly people, since it comes with safety features such as handles for stability, anti-slip rubber feet, and a frame with a blow-molded seat that has a backrest. You don’t need to worry about the assembly process since it has a straightforward design that makes it easy to set up.[joomdev-wpc-pros-cons disable_title=”yes” title=”Title Here” button_text=”Get it now” disable_button=”yes” button_link=”” button_link_target=”_SELF” button_rel_attr=”dofollow”][joomdev-wpc-pros]
- Safe sliding design
- Easy to use
- Long lasting
- Adjustable legs
- Removable cut out
- It comes with a shower wand clip
- Helps to minimize physical strain
- It comes with different safety features
- Reasonable price
- The plastic parts break easily
6. MedMobile® Bathtub Transfer Bench / Bath Chair
The first thing you will note once you set your eyes on this shower chair is the simple design. One of the best things about it is that it is very flexible. You will find that you can easily adjust the height from 16 ½ to 20 ½ inches. Apart from that, it provides easy transfer from a wheelchair to the shower seat.
If you are on a budget, you will be happy to know that this chair is very affordable. Despite its low price, it is one of the best shower chairs you can find out there. We also need to mention that it has non-slip legs that provide you with stability and safety. However, it doesn’t have a backrest, unlike others. It measures 29 x16 x 25 inches.[joomdev-wpc-pros-cons disable_title=”yes” title=”Title Here” button_text=”Get it now” disable_button=”yes” button_link=”” button_link_target=”_SELF” button_rel_attr=”dofollow”][joomdev-wpc-pros]
- Non-slip legs
- Very safe
- It is stable
- It does not come with an armrest
Why Should You Buy a Shower Chair?
1. Boosts Safety – If you are one of those people who always feels afraid to take a shower, you need to look for a shower chair. When using these chairs, there is no possibility of falling, even due to the slippery surface of most bathrooms. These chairs are necessary for those in wheelchairs, the elderly, and those experiencing pain due to excessive movements.
2. Hygiene – For people with limited mobility, purchasing a shower chair will ensure that you don’t risk your health and hygiene when traveling. This is because you can carry the chair with you to make it easier for you when bathing.
3. Boosts Confidence – These chairs are designed in a way that helps you get in and out of the shower. The best thing about these chairs is that they come with useful features to suit your requirements.
4. Easy to Use – Shower chairs are very easy to use and assemble. They are well-padded to provide the required comfort.
What To Look For Before Buying a Shower Chair
If you want to get the best value for your money when purchasing these chairs, follow the following tips.
1. Height – Look for a chair that is tall enough for everyone. Ensure the user can comfortably place their feet flat on the floor when bathing. The best chair should have an adjustable height to make it suitable for people with different heights.
2. Back Support and Armrest – A chair with a well-padded backrest and armrest can be a great option. This feature provides stability and comfort to the user. Some even come with adjustable armrests and backrests.
3. Reviews – Before spending your money on any product, you should always check what customers are saying about the product. This will give you added confidence that you are purchasing a reliable product.
4. Weight Capacity – A good chair should comfortably support the weight of the user. It is good to check the maximum weight a chair can hold before buying. Ensure the one you have selected is compatible with the user.
5. Seat – It should have a comfortable seat. The seat should be made of a non-slip material. Apart from that, it should have drainage holes to prevent the accumulation of water. You should also ensure that it is wide enough to cover the user.
The Bottom Line
Without a doubt, a shower chair is a very important accessory you must have in your bathroom — especially if you have a disabled or an elderly person in your family. These chairs are specifically designed for such people. You will find that they come with safety features and other features that ensure that the user is always comfortable when bathing. In addition, they are easy to assemble and are very stable.
If you are worried about price, you will find that shower chairs come at different prices to suit your budget. However, purchasing a shower chair just because it is affordable is a bad idea. You need to look at the features and reliability of the chair. Irrespective of your choice, it is our hope that this guide will be helpful to you when shopping for a shower chair.