Read the 2018’s best composting toilet reviews. Find out how to compare waterless toilets based on smell and other important factors.
The ancient flush toilet connected with the sewer system or septic tank is a bygone saga. Most of the people are used to the toilets with the flush mechanism as the common way of disposing of the waste, but the areas which have small rooms or no option to use septic tanks have another spectacular option to use – Composting Toilet System
What is the best composting toilet on the market?
As per our market research and reading 100’s of reviews on Amazon.com, we found Nature’s Head Self Contained Composting Toilet is the only composting toilet with the best design, features.
Top Composting Toilets Comparison Chart
Best Composting Toilet Reviews 2018
1. Nature’s Head Self Contained Composting Toilet with Close Quarters Spider Handle Design
The best features of this value for money compost toilet system are:
- The main feature of this products is the comfortable full-size elongated seat.
- It is made with stainless-steel hardware and can be easily disassembled when needed.
- The fan and the vent hole comes with the system. It is odorless and easy to install the system.
- It is 28 pounds in weight and uses 12 volts.
- It is a portable composting system, self-contained and comes with the urine-separating dry toilet.
- The recycling of air in the bathroom helps to create the odorless environment.
- It can withstand any harsh marine habitat especially if electricity is not available or plumbing is difficult to process.
- The most user-friendly system than anything in the market has a craggy design and durable in any kind of unfavorable environment.
Water conservation facts: It does not require any water, as a result, it is excellent for extended camping, RV stay, sailboat and outdoor use including an indoor facility
Service parts availability: Contact the company to request for service parts, some are also available at amazon.com
Installation of products: The installation method is floor mounted and it comes with no battery.
Cleaning tips: Clean with natural water and white vinegar or a natural cleaner between each use. A moistened paper towel can be used for subtle interior and exterior cleaning.
Warranty Info: This product comes with 5 years warranty policy
Return Policy: The product can be returned to the company, authorized store or distributor within 60 days of the date of purchase.
2. Nature’s Head Dry Composting Toilet with Standard Crank Handle
This unit is a popular product because of its quality material manufacturing as well as portable and convenient to use. Nature’s head compost toilet is sold over 10,000 pieces and largely appreciated by the happy customers. It is a natural, safe, eco-friendly and easy to use the product for your home, cabin, workshop and more.
Some basic features of Nature’s head dry composting toilet are:
- This is a user-friendly toilet system with hand cracker agitator which helps in fast composting.
- This system has the most innovative design for personal sanitation
- This is a self-contained design with the urine-diverting system.
- The material is hard stainless steel with strong construction
- It is a value for money product and has odorless feature.
- Modeled in toilet seat for easy cleaning
- Disassembles easily without any hassle
- Unit comes with every important thing except the external vent
- The brand provides exceptional customer service along with quality products.
Water conservation facts: It requires no water to operate
Service parts availability: Service parts are available through the website and customer care service
Installation of Product: Return is available if the product is unused and purchased from an authorized distributor.
Cleaning Tips: the Quick spray of water with white vinegar or a natural cleaner between each use is recommended. The moistened paper towel can be used for subtle interior and exterior cleaning.
Warranty Info: It is proudly made in the USA and has 5 years warranty
Return policy: According to the company, the product can be returned within 60 days from the purchase date and if it has been never been installed
The main features if this model is as follows:
- This low profile unit uses no water and it is 100% polluting free.
- It is super comfortable and complements any bathroom quite easily.
- It uses standard household current and is odorless.
- It converts human waste to safe fertilizing soil with its self-composting system.
- This is for single person use and comes with medium capacity.
- It also has variable diameter bio-drum with recessed handle for processing compost.
- It is a self-contained toilet with detachable footrest and pest-proof facility.
- It has emergency drain system and comes with venting kit.
Water conservation facts: No water or sewer connection required
Service parts availability: Service parts are available through the company website and registered associate companies.
Installation of products: Few pieces are used in Sun-Mar compost toilet therefore, it can be assembled in an easy manner and in any harsh weather
Cleaning tips: Easy cleaning procedure with no extra hassle
Warranty Info: The company gives 5 years full warranty on the product.
Return Policy: The product can be returned or refunded in unused condition.
This is one of the most recommended among other five because of it’s medium price tag and lots of important features. It’s a popular design in Europe and currently gaining more approval state wise. It is towards the higher price range but innovative design and low maintenance will surely be worth the money by the buyers.
Some of the advantages of Separett Villa are:
- It is an advanced urine-diverting toilet system
- The urine is simply piped outdoor
- The interior of the toilet has a weight activated trap door that hides the waste from view
- The airtight trap door swings open and shuts automatically when someone sits and stands up
- The composting process takes place in a removable bin attached with a compostable bag
- Lightweight and well-built in quality
- The weight is 45 lbs. and it’s portable as well as transportable, ideal for cabin use and camping too
- It needs AC standard electric power
- It comes with two-speed fans for ventilation
Water conservation facts: It has the waterless system which is convenient for remote homes
Service parts availability: All the parts are available on the company website, amazon.com and associated websites.
Installation of products: It is easy to install because of its Sleek design and small size
Cleaning tips: The removable containers and set up makes it end-product very easy to clean and empty. Also, you can use disposable cleaning bags which is available on the brand website and amazon.com
Warranty Info: Five years warranty for any manufacturing defect
How to Choose a Composting Toiler for Tiny House
It can be a bit tricky to understand how the waterless sewage system can be easily used. But it’s more exciting to know that with its energy-saving features, it is completely odorless too. This alternative sewage system mechanism uses very less or no energy at all.
There are various types of composting toilet available with great features, you just need to understand the process of this composting system along with your own requirement. Among the various brands present in the market, we have jotted down only five to give a clear view while it comes to choose a compost toilet.
But before buying one, you should be aware of some of the choices, which you might consider according to your own necessity:
- Cost of a good composting toilet according to your budget
- It should not stink inside or outside
- It should have a urine-diverting system
- Solid waste disposing system
- Vent system and if it supplied with the toilet
- The time between clearing the waste
- If the brand has a good customer service option
Composting Toilet FAQ’s
Do composting toilets smell bad?
Most people think that composting toilets smells bad. However, since they exert negative pressure inside the toilet, composting toilets do not smell at all. However, the venting must be installed correctly if you want it to operate odor-free.
Can you use toilet paper with a composting toilet?
Toilet paper is made of carbon elements. This means that you don’t need to buy a special toilet paper since the regular toilet paper breaks easily within a short period.
Do you need to have a septic system when you have a composting toilet?
According to U.S. building codes, every home should have at least one flush toilet that is connected to an approved septic system.
Do composting toilets use water?
Composting toilets normally use microorganisms, which are controlled by aerobic conditions. This means that they do not use water. Some even feature a urine diversion system in the toilet bowl which collects the urine separately and also helps to control excess moisture.
Do you have to empty a composting toilet?
If you are using a continuous cycle composting toilet, you will find that it has a tray at the bottom. All you need to do is to remove the tray and empty. The best thing is that you don’t have to do this every day since compost made of human waste loses much of its bulk.
Can you put tampons in a composting toilet?
If you are to use a tampon, it must be 100% made of cotton since this material is biodegradable in composting toilets. Avoid using conventional tampons with plastic overwraps since they don’t decompose easily.
Do composting toilets use electricity?
Self-contained composting toilets come in either electric or non-electric version which allows you to choose according to your requirements. Electric units have a higher capacity than the non-electric since they have extra warmth and air movement which enhance the bacteria activities.
How does a composting toilet work?
Composting toilets normally use natural processes to decompose and evaporate human waste. The waste that enters in the toilet contains over 90% of water which evaporates and gets back to the air through the vent system.
How big is a composting toilet?
Composting toilets come in different sizes but most of them are compact and do not require a lot of space. Due to their size, they are the best when camping or homes with a limited space.
Are composting toilets legal in USA in which states?
Some states such as Washington, Oregon, and others contain a code that regulates composting toilets. These codes only require an NSF certified toilet.
Do composting toilets work in cold climates?
One of the best things about composting toilets is that they work well in all climates. However, the composting process stops when the weather is very cold. The best thing would be to insulate the composting chamber or keep it in a heated place.
Can you urinate in a composting toilet?
Some of these toilets usually mix urine and feces while others separate them but these ones require a lot of effort to maintain. It all depends on your requirements.
How does a composting toilet flush?
Composting toilets use natural processes to decompose and evaporate human waste. This means that it does not use water when flushing. This makes it among the best if you want a water saving toilet.
How much water does a composting toilet save?
When you are using a no-flush composting toilet, you can save up to 2,000 gallons or 8,000 liters of water every year at an average flush rate of 4 times a day.
Can you use the compost from a composting toilet?
Flush toilets treat human manure as waste while composting toilets allow you to reclaim and recycle the nutrients found in the human waste. They use biological processes to break down human manure.
How much does a composting toilet system cost?
If you are searching for a commercial toilet, they cost $1,500-$8,000 depending on the design. Traditional toilers range from $100-$2,000.
How does a waterless composting toilet work?
In waterless urinals, the urine flows down the bowl and passes through a debris-catching strainer. The urine then goes through a sealing liquid which has an oil-based fluid or vegetable oil. After that, it moves out through the waste pipe.
How does a self-contained composting toilet work?
A self-contained composting toilet is larger than the rest. However, you don’t need an extra space since they occupy almost space as the regular toilets. In self-contained composition toilets, the composting reactor is placed in continuation to the receiving end. This means that the breakdown of the human waste produced by the aerobic microbes starts immediately.
The best thing about these toilets is that they do not smell. They also have advanced features which help to expel non-usable gases to enhance oxygen filtration. This speeds up the rate of aerobic decomposition.
While buying a compost toilet, you need to see the user-friendly nature and easy maintenance along with the quality of the product, next come to your budget criteria. This detailed composting toilet buying guide will help you to go and grab the best compost toilet for your need. This is an important decision to make because this environmentally friendly waste management system is reusable can save energy.